Friday, July 8, 2011

June's already gone?!

The month of June came and went like a blur.  Max finished up his first season of T-ball, Kaysie turned 2, Charlie went to Washington D.C. to watch the US Open, and lucky me - I got my gallbladder taken out.  Before I get to the important posts about T-ball and the US Open trip I really want to tell you how my husband went from Dad to Super Dad.

The week Charlie was gone was the week my gallbladder decided it didn't like me anymore.  My amazing Mom came to the rescue! She took me to the doctors and then took us to her house to recover.  I am weak sauce when it comes to pain meds, so my Mom and sister; Lauren, completely took care of my kiddos for the rest of the week.  I can't thank them kids didn't want to leave!  To tell you how weak sauce I am with meds....Charlie called to check on me- at this point he didn't even know that I had gone to the doctor- and within a few minutes of our conversation he said, "Honey, where are the kids?"  He knew within a few seconds that I was out of it!  I am so grateful for my incredible family!  What would I have done with my poor kids??!!!

Okay here is the Super Dad part.....
I went in for surgery the next Wednesday and my amazing husband took a few days off of work to take care of me and our kids.  My husband has always been a great dad, but my jaw dropped this week when he was playing Mom and Dad.  Once again I was hopped up on pain meds and wasn't even functional until Sunday, so Charlie was on his own!  (My incredible parents and siblings were always there to help out) While Charlie was in charge my kids did some amazing things with their dad.  One thing that I will always remember was watching our kids Slip-n-Slide.  They aren't great at it on their own, so Charlie pulled them down the slide and then back up, over and over again.  It wasn't just the amazingly fun things that Charlie did with the kids that impressed me so much, it was the ordinary things-the things I don't think I have ever seen him do before that really got me. 

From the time Charlie woke up in the morning to the time he went to bed at night, he was with the kids.  He fed them, dressed them, played with them, fed them again, put them down for naps, played again, fed them again, played some more, bathed them, and finally put them to bed.  All while doing this he kept the house clean too! I was shocked when he continually loaded and unloaded the dishwasher! (I didn't know he knew how that worked;) After a few days of nonstop "mom work" Charlie noticed that after he had gotten the kids down for their naps he'd fall asleep wherever he happened to stop.  He jokingly asked me if I was drugging him...I have always told him that the life of a mom is exhausting.  We have always had the argument over whose job is actually harder, mine or his....I think he is finally seeing it from my side. 

I am so grateful to my husband for taking such great care of our kiddos...I'm not going to lie, I was seriously nervous to leave it all in his hands for so many days. (I have seen the state of our kids after he babysits for an hour ;)  When Charlie went back to work on Tuesday our kids were completely devastated.  Kaysie wanted her Daddy and continued to ask when he'd be home all day.  She still doesn't want me to put her to bed, she wants Daddy.

A couple funny notes from this experience.  Kaysie asked me at least a thousand times a day, "see ouwie, please? See ouwie?" Then I'd show her and she'd say, "Ouch, hurt. Yeah? Hurt, Yeah?" 
One morning I was feeling a little better and I was rinsing off Max's breakfast bowl and he says, "Mom, you are the best dishwasher, ever!"  Max was always trying to make me feel better...I love my kids!

Not only was my husband great, but we had some amazing friends and family help out too.  We got some delicious meals brought to our home that were eaten quickly and completely appreciated.  Thank you!

No comments: