Our 4th was following the normal tradition...our family BBQ at my parents and then fireworks.
It then took a small detour. What we had all forgotten was that Devin (my little brother) has been gone for the last two summers and was not able to really celebrate the 4th properly. I don't know what it is about boys and fireworks! I think Devin was a little too excited. Much to my overprotective parenting-freak out- my brother was teaching Max and Hudson how to throw fireworks and smoke bombs.
Apparently this wasn't really fun enough so they started to chase each other with the smoke bombs. I know what you are thinking..."bad idea." Yep.
All was going well for a while.. but the boys and Devin disappeared behind the fence. Soon Devin came back with a huge smile on his face. He was looking at Cari and I and he kept saying, "Something happened. It's bad, but it could have been worse." In my mind I thought how bad can it be? I don't hear anyone crying and that is usually the sign of the something worse.
He proceeded to tell us that he had burned Hudson's shirt. We didn't believe him until Hudson strolled on up. Hudson seriously had a hole in the back of his shirt. Cari then began to freak out saying something along the lines of "I can't believe you were close enough to burn his shirt..." Devin's reply: "I put it out as fast as I could." As you can imagine Cari followed that comment up with; "WHAT? He was on fire?" Yep he sure was.
Hudson's neck was entirely blue. Thank goodness for tags on the back of shirts, that is the only thing that kept Hudson's back from the fire. You could see the white tag through the new hole in Hud's shirt.
Hudson is a very tough little man-it takes a lot to bother him, so he was fine with it all. In fact when I showed him a picture of his blue neck all he said was, "Oh my heck!" and then went back to playing. Cari also handled it well...I was impressed.